Knoxville Suzuki Academy Policies:
Before lessons can begin:
- Parents must do the following:
- Read the following required readings for new parents:
- To Learn with Love, William and Constance Starr
- Teaching from the Balance Point, Edward Kreitman (You can find this at Johnson Strings online).
- Ability Development from Age Zero, Shinichi Suzuki
- Begin creating a musical environment for your child by:
- Attending free classical concerts at UT (You can find a list of upcoming concerts here: https://music.utk.edu/events/index.php)
- Listening daily to classical music on the radio (try 91.9, WUOT)
- Listening daily to the Suzuki Vol. 1 CD of the child’s desired instrument
- Attending any of the recitals or concerts offered by the Academy, or other classical musical concerts.
Knoxville Suzuki Academy Expectations:
The Suzuki method is dependent on the Suzuki Triangle: the partnership between the Teacher, Parent, and Student. Parents are expected to:
- Be present, take notes and participate in the child’s lesson. If possible, make a video of each lesson to refer to during the week before the next lesson.
- Practice daily with the student guided by the Suzuki philosophy as described in the required reading.
- Gain a basic understanding of the instrument themselves to allow them to successfully teach the student at home.
- Play the CD of the current Suzuki volume being studied regularly at the home
- The first two lessons are for the parent only, in order to acclimate them to the instrument and prepare them to be better at-home teachers for their children. Note: this investment of your energies will also demonstrate to your child the importance of this activity.
Knoxville Suzuki Academy Tuition and Billing:
Initial Registration Fee
All new students at the KSA will need to pay a one-time $50 registration fee.
Monthly Tuition Rates
All tuitions include 4 private lessons a monthly level appropriate 1 hour group class
30 minute lessons: $160/month
45 minute lessons: $220/month
60 minute lessons: 260$/month
All billing will be done on a recurring monthly subscription basis. Families will need to provide their bank or credit card information at the time of their enrollment, and all subsequent billing for tuition will be automatic.
Withdrawal from KSA
Students who withdraw from their enrollment at the KSA are required to provide one month advance written notice.
Cancellation/missed lesson policy
- Our teacher’s will be at your scheduled lessons, and we will expect your child to be at those lessons. Between September and May a student may may miss up to a maximum of 2 scheduled lessons for any reason with the possibility of rescheduling those sessions without any additional fee. Due to our teachers’ full schedules, make up lessons may be scheduled in the summer after the missed lesson/s.
- Between June and August a student may miss and be entitled to miss and reschedule up to 2 lessons with advance communication with their private teacher.
- Lessons start and end at the scheduled time. Tardy arrivals will not be entitled to extend the lesson end time.
Tuition includes four private lessons each month. This allows teachers and students to miss lessons for breaks and vacations and stay on track with 48 lessoned allotted yearly for each KSA student as part of their tuition. Families need to arrange for vacation weeks from lessons with their private teacher directly.
Have a question you don’t see answered above? Simply Contact Us here!